The Center for Women’s Studies, the first and only center of this kind in Croatia, was founded in 1995 by a group of theoreticians and scientists, feminists, peace activists and artists.
The Center for Women’s Studies develops multi/interdisciplinary studies and expert knowledge on women’s issues, and is a meeting place of academic discourse, activist engagement and artistic practice.
The Center’s main activities include education, research, publishing, librarianship, cultural events, public advocacy of the politics of gender equality and women’s studies.
The Center for Women’s Studies continuously works on:
- the education on women’s issues
- promoting women’s studies programs at the university
- studying female subjectivity, women’s history and culture, gender/sex, power and knowledge
- taking up new issues relating to women (citizenship, the concept of the female citizen, the politics of reproduction, etc.)
- affirming gender conscious politics from a critical feminist perspective
- transforming the social status of women with a stress on women’s rights
- promoting and supporting women’s culture and knowledge through research, publishing and public events
- raising consciousness of historical, civilizational and anthropological values of women
- developing a culture of dialogue and a non-violent culture of living